Taylor's University College »

World Maths Day 2008 !!

World Maths Day 2008 !!
Pride of 0801PE4 !!!

Sunday, April 27, 2008

first post -- how do you turn this on?!

Greetings from the inter-tubez. This is orange34 (a.k.a International Student). FYI, "orange34" is my handle in the online world. I don't know why it is so, other than the fact that I was consuming some oranges during my first internet experience. (and yeah, the oranges tasted good!)

So, I'm making this maths club and I've had some very good support from everyone in PE04 who eagerly want to get involved in a club which can improve their problem-solving skills. First off, let me thank all those who showed enthusiasm in making this possible. I found out forming a club is no easy business. There are numorous documents, articles, sections, and dozens of signatures which need to be submitted all in a boringly official fashion which sometimes makes me feel as if I'm writing the constitution for a small country. Right now, I'm in the process of finishing a lengthy club statement after which we should be all set to hear about the clubs approval.

So far there are 2 purposes for this club as outlines in Article 4 of the constitution:

"
Section 1
To encourage and develop problem-solving capabilities of members. Problem-solving is an extremely important part of the study of mathematics. Every student will benefit from the mental dexterity developed through struggling with problems that require creative thought. These skills obtained can also be useful in other areas of study.

Section 2
To serve as a place where students can meet systematically to prepare for important mathematical competitions. These exams are a great way for students to show their mathematical capabilities in a worldwide platform, and such a preparation club is useful so that contestants can perform to the best of their abilities.
"

If you feel there needs to be more purposes feel free to write them in the comments.

-orange34

0 Heartiest Comments: